Belgium


Coronavirus Cases:

70,314

Deaths:

9,850

Recovered:

17,598
History of new cases over the past 30 days

History of deaths in the past 30 days


Belgium is officially known as the Kingdom of Belgium. It’s a country located in Western Europe. It’s land neighboring countries include the Netherlands to the north, Germany on the east side, France to the southwest and Luxembourg to the southeast. The northwestern part of the country is bounded by the North Sea. Despite its relatively small area of 30,689 km2, it has a population of more than 11.5 million people. This fact makes Belgium the 22nd most densely inhabited country in the world (sixth in Europe). The country’s capital and its largest city is Brussels with other major cities including Antwerp, Ghent, and Liege. There are two speaking communities in Belgium. There is the Flemish Community which accounts for around 60 percent of Belgium’s population. This community speaks Dutch. The other 40 percent of the French-speaking community. There is also a small German-speaking community located in the East Cantons.

The country has three official languages: Dutch, French, and German. Belgium is one of the founding members of the Benelux, a trilateral agreement between three countries: the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Belgium. This agreement led to the foundation of the European Union and Belgium was one of the six founding members. The Belgian capital, Brussels, is the host of the European Commission, the Council of the European Union and the European Council. That’s why Brussels is commonly referred to as the capital of the European Union. Belgium is a highly developed country with high incomes, high living standards, and advanced healthcare and education.

Indication of source: